Friday, June 26, 2009

Masters (M.Tech) work in progress 2007-2009

When I began work on my practical I was battling to process my ideas so I started working on small canvasses so I could build on my ideas quickly to see what worked and what didn't. The following images are examples of such.









This next painting which marks the beginning of my exploration into the use of collage in the re-presentation of the female body. It began as one big painting which did not seem to work as one piece. After many crits I was advised to separate each element into an individual panel. So as it stands now it creates a triptych. It wont necessarily be displayed in this manner or sequence. The work also marked the beginning of the use of layering and stitching.


This is a series of covered boxes which deals with the idea of concealing and revealing. The viewer is given no clue as to what is under the zip, however, the shape of the boxes refer to the silhouette of the female body in particular the torso. The fabric used for the covers refer to domesticity and the mask which it can often create. The viewer is tempted to unzip the cover to reveal the images/writing on the concealed boxes but feels unsure as to what is hidden underneath. I have decided through a discussion with my supervisor that the outside should provide a small clue/hint as to what the box portrays. This is something I still need to complete.


Below are a few close ups of the boxes individually.






The following are meant to be viewed in a series. They are stitched vinyl panels which re-present the female body. The photos were taken briefly in my studio so aren't of a great quality.




These shapes and silhouettes of the female body are a continuous theme in my work. Below is one of my more recent experiments using found objects. I have used fabric in a more aggressive way but plaiting and weaving it. The sandblasted glass gives the sense of concealment.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Jo!!! I am very impressed, your blog is extremely interesting. I love the images you have put up. They are amazing. I am still looking through your blog, but from what I see at first glance, very impressive. I am going to update my blog soon. I will let you know:).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the pieces with the stitching - very simple, but so effective! :)

    ReplyDelete